3 Ingredient Healthy Dark Chocolate Truffles Recipe
We’ve talked about the fact that chocolate is good for you so you know that we are talking about 100% raw chocolate not a bar of milk chocolate laden with processed sugar and god knows what else added to it that has been heated to such a high temperature as to kill off any beneficial compounds.
Well what if you could EAT AS MUCH CHOCOLATE AS YOU WANT and not suffer any negative health effects?
This is the first of our recipes for 100% healthy chocolate and if you swap your standard, store bought bar of chocolate for one of these recipes you can do just that!
And if you think that making your own chocolate is difficult then you are going to be pleasantly surprised. This recipe has just 3 ingredients!
Home Made Raw Dark Chocolate Truffle Recipe
The sweet potato may sound strange but believe me it works! Not only does it add the truffle consistency to the chocolate it is also one of the healthiest carbohydrates you can eat and does not cause a large insulin spike which can lead to fat storage.
- Put the sweet potato in the oven on a low temperature (about 150 Centigrade / 300 Fahrenheit) and cook until it is soft to the touch (about 45 minutes depending on the size of the potato).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool remove the skin and discard any hard lumps so you are left with the fluffy, orange inside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler. Don’t be scared off by the term “double boiler”, it’s just a heat proof glass bowl floating in hot water. Full instructions on how to set up a double boiler can be found on this page.This method stops the coconut oil being heated too high and helps it to retain the health benefits of the raw cocoa powder when it is added.
- Remove the glass dish from the pan of water
- Add the sweet potato and cacao powder and mix with a hand blender
- Once fully mixed spoon into silicone moulds
- It’s up to you what moulds you use depending on what shape you want. Initially you could just use some cake moulds if you already have them in the house.
- Put the moulds in the fridge and that’s it! They’ll be ready to eat in about half an hour.
- Keep the chocolates in the fridge otherwise they may melt on warmer days.
- If you prefer a firmer texture then put them in the freezer.
- If you find the chocolates are not sweet enough try adding some xylitol to the coconut oil when it is melting in the double boiler. Just experiment with the amount until you are happy with it.
- If the chocolate is a little too “dark” for your liking then reduce the amount of cacao powder.
- Add other ingredients such as nuts, raw vanilla powder or raw cacao butter and let us know what you come up with in the comment below.
This simple recipe will make a huge impact on your health if you swap out your regular chocolate.
We will be working on more chocolate recipes, including a milk chocolate version so please “like” our Facebook page to keep up to date.